Saturday 13 June 2009

should i, could i, would i...

I was looking up quotes from Albert Camus, because I have been in a quote looking up mood lately, and one of the ones that caught my eye was this:
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession. "-Camus
I most definitely kind of fell in love with it. While alone at home one night, one night being last night, I decided to take advantage and paint something.. a confession of sorts... This is what happened:

It is a mixture of acrylic, finger paints, tape, sharpie, a yellow paint pen, and tin foil. The whole thing only took me about an hour and a half, or a little bit less, but it was great! I guess the confession from this one is kind of obvious... "Should." I know, it's a bit cliche, but I don't really mind. I seem to wait around always thinking about what I 'should' do and what I 'shouldn't.' It is seldom that I take the initiative to do things in my life. I live in my home, and don't venture out much. I have had excuses, and found other things to do with my time, but I always 'should' have and could have been doing something else. After I finished the painting and was looking at it from far away, I noticed that four of the letters stand out more than the others (unintentionally). From far away, the word 'soul' stands out from the others. I guess I subconsciously was saying something there. Do with it as you will.. It means something to me, and maybe it will mean something to you too...

Oh dear. Now I sound all 'artsy' and 'deep.' I don't consider myself an 'artist,' or a 'scholar' by any means... just to make that clear... I just enjoy seeing things that make me think, and I like talking about them. Life would be so boring if everything was merely taken at face value, even if it was made for just that reason alone. But that is the beautiful thing about life isn't it? An artist can make something for one specific reason, and the viewer can take it and see what they want or need to see even if it is not the same, and both are correct. 'Molding the world to your own view' should be a job title, because I want it! Then again, everyone does it anyways.. especially those randomly pesky modern artists (some which are brilliant, and others, simply still striving for it.. haha).

After all of this rambling, I thought it would be poignant to quote Camus yet again. Mr "Existentialism" said the following:

"Abstract Art: A product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered."

This one made me laugh. If life is a struggle and art is its confession, how else would one display it but in abstract measures?

Oh life and people. So contradictory. So utterly hilarious. Thanks for that. :)

No comments: